Abstract Gnocchi.

1/10/2011



(In Portuguese)


 My gnocchis came out shaped in various ways,
and none of them was actually familiar.
Altough I may say, in they're defense, that the texture and taste were really good.
The sweet potatoes match really nicely with the parmesan cheese.
I served it with a lettuce salad topped with sunflower seeds.



For the gnocchi:
2 large regular potatoes, peeled
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
1 egg
3/4 cup flour


For the sauce:
1 box tomato pulp
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons black olives
3 tablespoons pesto
Salt as needed
Grated parmesan to serve
I cooked all of the potatoes together for about 30 minutes - until soft.
While still hot, I smashed them with a fork and mixed in the egg.
I added the flour, half at a time, and made sure the batter was smooth.
I shaped 2cm thick logs on a floured countertop, then cutting into 2cm pieces,
in an attempt to obtain gnocchis.
I left them to dry over a dish for about 30 minutes before cooking.
Then I heated water with some salt in a large pan, and when it came to a boil
I started to put the gnocchis in it. 10 at a time.
When they go up to the surface of the water means you can remove them.
As they cooked, I placed them in a dish.
Meanwhile, I heated the tomato pulp and let the onion cook in that heat.
When the onion was already soft, I added pesto and olives; and at the time I turned off the heat, I added salt.
To tell the truth, the whole process took me about 2 hours.
But you can consider that while the potatoes cook, and then while the batter is drying,
we can do many other things.
Before I finish the post, two tips/ considerations:
- It's always good to place the gnocchis in the water with caution, close to the surface.
If you drop them from far above the hot water might spill and burn your skin.
- Since I'm not good at shaping gnocchis, I think the next time I might use my mom's method:
to shape small portions of batter using a tablespoon and dropping it directly in the water.

1 comentários:

flanzie said...

ai, nhoques. que vontade!

vou testar essa e a receita de pesto!

:)

Post a Comment