Suddenly, pralinés*.

6/30/2011



Sometimes I have a sudden craving for something sweet.
And I can't think of anything else, until I eat the darn sweet. Even if it's a lame toffee candy.
It was already 10pm, and I looked around to find out what ingredients I had with the potential to
transform themselves into an express dessert.
The peanut jar didn't leave no doubts: pralinés*.

*Well, actually these are not pralinés. They are a traditional Brazilian sweet named "pé de moleque".
But I find them pretty similar to pralinés, and I'm calling them that so that non-Brazilian people can get the picture. :)



3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 cup toasted peanuts
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon glucose syrup
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
(Cup measure: 240ml)

I stirred all of the ingredients in a large pan and took it to medium-high heat, stirring once in a while.
When the mixture boiled, I let it cook for 3 more minutes.
I turned it off and stirred vigorously, until the caramel started to get lighter in color, and the sugar started to crystalize. My arm got tired, and I was thinking of turning heat on again because it seemed like the candy would never get ready, but that was a mistake: out of a sudden it changed it's look.
Immediately I scooped spoons of the pé de moleque to a sheet of foil, because it dries out REALLY fast
Before I poured the last spoon of it, the first one was dry on the outside.
The whole process took me about 20 minutes.

Yields 14 small pés de moleque.

0 comentários:

Post a Comment