Bolinha beans.

2/19/2011





(In Portuguese)





Last weekend I've been to Curitiba's public market, and saw these bolinha beans [I couldn't discover how these are called in english].
I found it beautiful, so I bought 1/2kg, along with other grains and a different kind of mate.
As usual, I let it soak overnight, and cooked it all with a teaspoon of cumin seeds
until soft.
I've set half of it apart to freeze in tupperwares, and the other half I prepared as follows.

2 cups cooked beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove of garlic in thin slices
1/2 onion in strips
1 small beet in medium dices
Zest of mayer lemon
Salt and black pepper to taste

I sauteed the garlic over medium heat until crunchy,
added the onion and sauteed until tender.
I threw in the beet, let it sauté a little more, until it was soft and the onions turned pink.
So I poured the beans and cooked over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
Towards the end of this time, I grated the zest of about 1/3 of the lemon peel,
and seasoned the stew with salt and pepper (I think I've used 1/2 teaspoon)
Let it cook for 5 minutes more, than I served.
I think the lemon zest brings a nice fresh touch, matching the pepper.
It's a shame that the beans loose their awesome color after cooking, but it is easy to
fix that with a beet. :)

0 comentários:

Post a Comment