Dona Benta and the fantastic banana waffles.

8/25/2011




My mother called me about two weeks ago, and at some point in the conversation she said "when I come to visit you, I'm bringing a surprise".
The damage was done. Miss Curiosity here spent this whole time forgetting and remembering to think
whether it would be something to eat, something for my home, to dress myself, if it had something to do with cinema...
She arrived at last, and what a beautiful surprise!
It was that huge book "Dona Benta - Comer bem". The best selling Brazilian cook book in the country ever since it's first edition - in 1940 -, according to the foreword. 
It comes with many traditional recipes, the ones that might end up forgotten once in a while.
The ones that feel great to be reminded of suddenly.
As soon as I could, I spent hours browsing the book and reading recipes.
To start it up, I cooked these waffles this morning.
Gooood! :)
(The recipe is copied here exactly as is in the book. I have prepared only half the recipe, and the changes I've made are written on the side.)

2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar (I used brown sugar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 separated eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter (equals 100g in the whole recipe. Since I prepared only half as much, I substituted with 4 tablespoons vegetable oil)
2 bananas, mashed with a fork
(Cup measure: 240ml)

1 Beat the egg whites into soft peaks and set aside.
2 Mix the dry ingredients, then add the yolks and milk, and stir nicely.
3 After that, add in the butter, bananas, and lastly the egg whites.
4 Cook in the waffle machine or fry in a frying pan, like a thick crepe.

One thing that is missing in the book is specifying how much does a recipe yield.
Preparing half of this one I got 4 waffles, enough to serve two people.
For the ones who intend to fry them in a pan like myself, I recommend letting it heat well before pouring the batter. When the waffle is not sticking to the pan anymore (you can verify this with a spatula) it's time to flip it and let the other side brown.
These can be whipped up quite quickly, and come out delicious!


Note: Dona Benta is a very important character in Brazilian literature. She's the grandmother of the children who live in Sítio do Picapau Amarelo, the place where many of Monteiro Lobato's books stories take place. She is kind of like a sum up of Brazilian grandmas. Just lovely.

1 comentários:

RChristopher said...

Mmmm. Waffles are a Sunday morning favorite around our house. Will have to try them made with bananas.

Post a Comment