Carrot bread, and the week after the holidays.

5/04/2011




(In Portuguese)


Well, we all know what happens in a week with the family during holidays.
We have fun, forget about our lives, and enjoy good food.
So I stole from my uncle and aunt a nice idea, which is to spend the following week "detoxifying" the body with more fresh vegetables and less carbs.

Back to São Paulo, I went to the supermarket to get several vegetables and fruits, had soup for lunch. And at night I decided to make a carrot bread.

The fact is São José has been helping, and I've been working full-time, that's why it took me so long to post. And the other good news is I brought home an old kitchen scale that used to be my grandmother's. It will be properly photographed  and presented when possible.
So, I scaled the carrots' weight, and now I'll be able to write down my recipes with more precision.

Carrot bread

200g raw carrots, peeled and washed (3 medium carrots) - I used 3 small carrots and 1 small red beet
1/2 cup (120ml) lukewarm water
2 tablespoons yogurt
tablespoons honey
tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon instant yeast (1/2 10g package)
1 tablespoons salt
2 1/2 cups (600ml) flour
1 egg

In a bowl, I stirred together 1/4 cup warm water with the yeast and 1 tablespoon flour, I covered with a clean dish cloth, letting the yeast bloom for 5 minutes. (In this post there is a picture of what it looks like ofter starting to bloom.)
Meanwhile, I processed in the blender: the remaining water, yogurt, honey, oil, egg, carrots and salt, until it all turned into a smooth puree.
I poured this mixture in the bowl and stirred with a wooden spoon, adding the flour little by little. The dough was a bit sticky, but I could still knead it.
I let it proof for about an hour, until it doubled in size, using the hot-water bottle trick.
Then I folded the dough, placed it in the greased and floured mold, and let it proof until
it doubled in size again.


I baked the bread at 180oC for 25 minutes, then at 210oC for another 7 minutes.
To rise the temperature at the end is a simple and efficient method to make the crust become crunchier and browner.


The color looked nice, and the texture is good for making sandwiches.
After cooling, I would recommend that you keep it in the fridge in a tupperware or plastic bag.
It keeps nicely for about a week.

1 comentários:

Marmita said...

Olha que boa ideia.. Por aqui tb é igual.. Quando à festas de família uma pessoa tb não para de comer.. Acho que fizeste muito bem em passar a semana sem exageros.. de facto o teu pao ficou com uma cor linda, deve ser muito bom! Boa dica! beijos

Post a Comment