Cornmeal rolls.

3/04/2011



(In Portuguese)


With a cold weather, there's nothing more comfortable than a fresh bread out of the oven.
This one is very soft and yummy, adapted from wild yeast.


It takes large proofing spans, but it won't make you work long.

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup fine cornmeal
2/3 cup warm water (you should have a little more at hand, in case you need)
1 1/2 tablespoon dry yeast
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/8 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

I mixed all of the ingredients in a bowl, and stirred with a wooden spoon until smooth and soft.
I let it proof covered in plastic and a tea towel, over a hot water bag, also covered in a tea towel.
(That's because I don't have a spot in my kitchen where the bread could be hidden from the wind).
After one hour proofing, I folded* the bread.
After another hour of proofing, I folded it again.
After the third hour, I separated the dough in 12 equal balls,
letting it proof covered for 20 minutes.
So I shaped** the rolls and let them proof, covered, for another 2 hours.

When that time was over, I pre-heated the oven at 210oC, and put some water to boil.
When the water boiled, I lowered the oven temperature to 180oC and placed in the baking
sheet with the rolls.
I also put in the oven a loaf pan where I poured the hot water.
The vapor makes the breads crust become a bit crunchier and 
gives it a vivid color.
I baked for 15 minutes with the water pan inside the oven, then I took it out
and baked for another 15 minutes without it.

* To fold the dough is a delicate way of removing the gas and stimulating the increase
   of elasticity. This is how you do it:

 
 

** To shape the rolls, the wild yeast lady recommends this technique.
    I think it makes the breads softer, but I'm not quite sure...
    This it how you do it, and then place them in the sheet seam side down:


1 comentários:

Marmita said...

Oh.. por aí tb chove :( Aqui tanto chove como faz sol.. Seja como for com chá quente ou gelado esses paizinhos devem saber muito bem. A tua imagem ficou linda com a chuva na janela. Adorei!

Quanto ao meu bolo de gengibre, usei do fresco... Adoro o perfume que fica na massa do bolo e o sabor é optimo.

Post a Comment