The best applesauce in the world!

2/13/2012




Today I bring you the best applesauce in the world, with questionable pictures and a post written in a rush as a side.
I'm sorry about the silence last week, I swear I'm making an effort to keep posting regularly.
I took this recipe from Crunchy Betty, a very funny site which publishes homemade recipes for cleaning products and beauty products. Sometimes I find it a bit weird, but most of the time I like it. Take a look and see what do you think.
I ended up adapting the recipe to my taste, maybe you should take a look at Betty's version to make a comparison.

10 small apples - a bit on the sour side -, peeled and cored, chopped up

Juice of 1 lime + water to complete 1/2 cup liquid

4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 whole cloves
(Cup measure: 240ml)

I placed the apples in a baking pan and poured the liquid over it, sprinkling the sugar and
spices on top. I chopped the butter in small pieces and threw over it as well, tossing to cover all the apples in lime juice and spice and sugar.
I covered the pan with parchment paper, and baked in preheated oven at 180oC until the apples softened - about an hour.
To cover the pan with parchment paper I had to cut a sheet larger tan the pan, place over it, leaving trimmings on all the sides, and twist the paper in the four corners, to secure it in place.

When the apples got done, I took the pan out of the oven and waited for it to cool down a bit.
After that, I looked for the cloves and discarded them. I processed all of the apples and juice in the blender until smooth.
It keeps well for two weeks in mason jars (or any other airtight container).

Yielded about 600ml.

PS: After making this great applesauce, I made a sugarless version, just as good. Check it out in here.

0 comentários:

Post a Comment