Onion soup.

7/13/2011



(In Portuguese)


Lately I was making an effort to post at least once a week, but in the last few days it
simply wasn't possible. Thankfully, for good reasons.
And even without recent posts, without many frequent readers, I was very glad to know
- through blogger's statistics - that some readers showed up from places I hadn't imagine,
from faraway countries such as Turkey or Estonia.
Be welcome, everybody! Tell me about you. Leave comments about the ways you eat and cook, or about something else.
Everyone, Brazilians, Americans, Spanish too! Tell me what you think of what is in for today. :)

I adapted this recipe from Jamie Oliver, and it fits perfectly for a cold night.
I don't really think it is very much like his recipe, but it tasted good and cozy.
Unlike the famous chef, I put potatoes in the soup and left the bread out.

2 large red onions
5 medium white onions
3 medium potatoes
1l water
2 tablespoons butter
Olive oil to taste
3 crushed cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons dried sage
Salt and black pepper to taste


I peeled the onions, cut them lengthwise and then in slices, approximately 0,5cm thick.
Then I peeled and crushed the garlic.
I put it all in a large pan along with the butter, some olive oil and the sage, and started 
sautéing over medium heat with the lid on. Soon I turned down the heat, adding a pinch
of salt and opening the lid just a little bit.
The onions must cook like this for about 50 minutes, stirring once in a while, so so that they
can give all of their sweetness and a mild flavor.
Meanwhile, the potatoes cooked in another pan.
When the 50 minutes were over, I added the water and potatoes, already peeled and smashed.
I used my new potato ricer (which I bought with the intention of making wonderful gnocchi, such as this one) - but a fork would work just as fine.
I let it cook for 20 minutes more, tweaked the salt and pepper, and that was it.
I believe I could say it yielded 3 servings of a delicious soup, with onion chunks and creamy broth.

0 comentários:

Post a Comment