My grandma Nelci's cheese biscuits.

1/26/2012




During these last summer vacation I have looked for the treasure of treasures:
the folder where my grandma Nelci's recipes were kept - which I brought home.
Some things, like the bee hives and the bread were never written down - she used to prepare them by heart.
On the other hand, these cheese biscuits, the cornmeal spongecake topped with cream and oranges, the grustuli, are in her notebooks, in her handwriting.
These are recipes that will inevitably bring memories to my family, and will make us happy whenever we prepare them. Every once in a while I'll share one of those, and I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.


1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated cheese (I used a cheese that's very common here in Brazil named meia cura - "half cured", "half ripened" - I don't have a clue as to how it is called in English. Anyway, you could probably substitute with many kinds of cheese, as long as they are not too soft)
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 dash black pepper
(Cup measure: 240ml)

I started by sieving the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, then I added the cheese, egg, pepper and milk, kneading briefly with my hands until I got to shape the dough as ball.
It became kind of dense, stiff. That's how it should be.
I rolled out the dough until it was a little more than 0,5cm thick, and I cut sticks using a cutter (like this one - my translating skills are not all that good today. I couldn't find out what's the name of this exact tool in English, sorry.) You could also use a sharp knife to cut them.
Honestly, I forgot to take note of how long it took for the biscuits to bake, but I'm pretty sure I baked them at 180oC until golden brown on top.
You should let them cool down before eating, in order to have absolutely crunchy biscuits.
One recipe yields about 50 sticks. I'll tell you: it would be better to bake twice as much. :)


    What the dough looked like before being rolled out. 

    The biscuits, ready to face the oven.

0 comentários:

Post a Comment