Bread with mango chutney.

11/15/2010




(In Portuguese)


Today at lunch all I did was set the table. My boyfriend and his mom made us gnochi with chilly tomato sauce. Yum! :)
Even so... I also cooked today. Whenever possible, I make myself some snack to take to work, because I always get hungry in the middle of the afternoon.

Today I'm testing a bread recipe, it makes a loaf.

I used an english cake pan, an here are the ingredients:
1 1/4 cup flour (I use 240ml cups, and 1/4 cup was whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon dry yeast
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sugar (it's the sugar that makes your bread became golden)
3 coffe cups warm milk (1 coffe cup = 50ml)
Now don't forget to test the milk temperature on your hand. It should feel warm to cold, not warm to hot. Otherwise you kill the creatures that make the yeast work. The proper temperature is 30˚C.
You should process everything in the blender except for the flour and the salt.
After that, pour the mixture in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until it's nice and fluffy.
Pour the dough in a greased pan and let it rest until it doubles in size (I left mine by the window where it could catch sunlight, with a plastic bag covering the pan. It took an hour).
After that, bake in low medium-low heat for 15 minutes, and medium heat for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
This bread turned out really soft, and it won't turn into crumbles when you make a sandwich.
I'll be keeping this recipe, for sure.

Now, the mango chutney.







1 large mango or 2 small ones
2 small apples (here we call this type fuji)
1/2 red onion
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup raisins
1 fresh chilly pepper, seeded and minced (today I'll make it dry chilly)
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger


1 tablespoon butter
3 cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon curry
Juice of 1 large lemon
3/4 cup brown sugar

I chop the onion, garlic and chilly, peel and chop the apples and mango.
The original recipe (I don't remember where it came from) calls for 1/2 red pepper and 1/2 green pepper. So if you'll be using those, this is the time to seed, chop and remove it's white veins.
Ok. After that, melt the butter and sauté onion/garlic/chilly/ginger for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add curry/lemon/apples/mango/peppers (if using)/ brown sugar and simmer for 5 minutes in low heat with the lid on.
Then add the raisins and salt and let it simmer until all of the liquid has evaporated.
It can be served warm or chilled, and can be kept in the fridge for about one week, in a glass jar with the lid on.

0 comentários:

Post a Comment