Slow and uncomplicated.

2/04/2011

(In Portuguese)


I know it makes anyone proud to serve a delicious kneaded bread,
but this one promises to be delicious with no knead.
And, from me to you, let's admit it's a great joy to be able to make
delicious foods between a tuesday and a wednesday night.


My bread went kind of wrong, but I realized where is my error,
so that I'll do the next one right.
Original recipe in here.


So:
1 1/2 cup flour (I used 1 cup all purpose and 1/2 whole wheat)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dry yeast
1/4 cup water (room temperature)


I mixed it all in a bowl, covered in a plastic bag
(sincerely, I find it unnecessary to buy plastic wrap), and
let it proof for 19 hours.
I prepared the mixture late night and got back to the bread
only on the following night, coming home from work.
In the original recipe it says the dough should proof for 14 or 18 hours,
that it makes the gluten develop slowly and I don't know what else,
making it taste awsome.
There are people who made it in 8 hours and it went just as fine.
Anyway. When the dough surface shows bubbles, means it's good.
I needed to lightly flour the counter and then sprinkle some more flour over
the dough in order to fold it over itself two or three times.
Then I covered in plastic and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.


After that, I floured the dough again to keep it from sticking to my hands
or to the counter, and shaped a ball.


Next step is to dust a clean dishcloth generously with flour, cornmeal, or wheat bran.
Keep in mind that it has to be really generously. My dough ended up stuck to the cloth,
because I didn't realize it would grow sideways.
I placed the dough over the cloth, seam side up, and sprinkled with more flour,
covering with another cloth.


I've let it rest for two hours like that.
To know if it's ready, it must have doubled in size, and it should not readily spring
back when poked with a finger.

30 minutes before the dough is done proofing, I turned on the oven on high temperature.
I think mine only goes up to 280oC, but it's recommended to use 320oC.
It doesn't matter.
Also according to the original recipe, you should cake it in a dutch oven.
Good thing we can improvise with a pyrex or a ceramic pan with lid.
It may also work to use a heavy metal pan that is oven-proof, but it sounds dangerous to me.
Well, I just used my alluminun loaf pan and covered with an alluminun baking sheet.
Since the lid needs to be heavy, and I read in some places that you can use
a rock or a brick (obviously, thoroughly washed) to weight it down. I used a brick.
I pre-heated the pan for 10 minutes. If it was a pyrex or ceramic pan,
it should be pre-heated along with the oven for 30 minutes.


When the dough was ready, I carefully took the pans out of the oven
and placed them on the stovetop.
I slided one hand under the dishcloth where the dough was, and transfered it
to the pan, leaving the seam side up. I tried to even the dough out with my hands.
I put the pan with the bread in the oven, covered with the baking sheet and the brick,
and baked for 30 minutes, as indicated in the recipe. I thought maybe it was starting to
burn (after all, the original recipe is actually is the double of what I prepared), but I
decided to follow the exact instructions.
I took out the baking sheets and let it bake for another 10 minutes at the
same temperature, and it definitely was burning.
Then I took the bread out and let it cool.


Veredict: this way of baking really allows the bread to develop an amazing crust,
and I intend to use it again even with other recipes.
I could have used the 3 cups dough and the bread would fit perfectly
in the loaf pan. It actually came out flat...
And for sure, I need to trust my nose rather than the recipes.

0 comentários:

Post a Comment